“Responding To Violence Against Elders” Training
Wednesday, May 30, 2018
8:00am – 8:30am Registration ~ 3:30pm Closing Remarks
JCJC – Howard Advanced Technology Center
Click Here to Download Registration Form
Click Here to Register Online
SOUTH MISSISSIPPI RURAL SENIOR ABUSE NETWORK PARTNERS WITH AREA AGENCIES TO PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Increased awareness of SENIOR Domestic and Sexual abuse in the general public.
- Create a reporting system RURAL in area.
- Educate home health workers, caregivers, and others who interact with SENIORS on a daily basis of the warning signs of senior abuse.
- Care coordination, resource referrals, safety evaluation and planning and in crisis situations some immediate assistance in the form of temporary housing.
SOUTH MISSISSIPPI RURAL SENIOR ABUSE NETWORK IS HOUSED IN GULFPORT AT SMPDD:
- The network covers the rural areas of Covington, Forrest, George, Greene, Hancock, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson Davis, Jones, Lamar, Marion, Pearl River, Perry, Stone and Wayne. SMPDD works in coordination with the following agencies to provide services; Domestic Abuse Family Shelter (DAFS), Gulf Coast Center for Nonviolence (GCCFN), Mississippi Department of Human Services (MDHS), and Mississippi Coalition Against Domestic Violence (MCADV).
Training and Community Education:
One of the main focuses of the SOUTH MISSISSIPPI RURAL SENIOR ABUSE NETWORK is to educate area Senior Centers, health care providers, caregivers, anyone that may interact with SENIORS on a daily basis of the prevalence of Domestic and Sexual abuse against our SENIORS. Domestic and Sexual abuse is under reported in the SENIOR population for many reasons; fear of repercussions, financial and physical dependence on the perpetrators, embarrassment, lack of resources, and knowledge of who to go to for support. SOUTH MISSISSIPPI RURAL SENIOR ABUSE NETWORK provides two annual trainings. The network will also provide community education and outreach at the area senior centers in order to provide education on the topic to our SENIORS. Training under the project provides outreach workers with the knowledge to effectively identify and address a broader spectrum of Domestic and Sexual abuse with a specific focus on connecting SENIORS to local victim service agencies.
The Care Coordinator provides direct assistance to victims by providing resource referrals to emergency housing, medical and mental health care, counseling, legal advice, and transitional housing.
For direct assistance with Domestic or Sexual Abuse contact:
Care Coordinator: Barbara Ellerman, RN (228) 314-1434 firstname.lastname@example.org
For Training and Community Education contact:
Program Manager: Chrissy Klein, LSW (228)314-1432 email@example.com
“This project was supported by Award No. 2016-WR-AX-0012 awarded by the Office on Violence Against Women, U.S. Department of Justice. The opinion, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed are those of the author(s) and does not necessarily reflect the view of the Department of Abuse hurts at any age… Justice.”